Our Story

Die erste Lutherische Kirche in Stellenbosch wurde 1854 an der Ecke Dorp und Bird Street gebaut. (Sie dient heute als Museum und Gallerie.) Am Anfang wurden die deutschssprachigen Lutheraner in Stellenbosch von der St Martini Kirche in Kapstadt sowie der Kreuzkirche in Bellville mit versorgt.

Doch als die deutsche Gemeinschaft in Stellenbosch wuchs, wurde 1952 die Gemeinde in Stellenbosch offiziell gegründet und 1963 Kirche, heute Friedenskirche, und Gemeindezentrum in der Hofmeyrstrasse eingeweiht. Während der letzten 50 Jahre ist die Kirche für Viele eine geistliche Heimat geworden – möge es auch in Zukunft so sein. In den letzten Jahrzehnten kamen immer mehr Mitglieder aus Somerset West dazu, so dass auch dort Gottesdienste und Veranstaltungen bei der St Paul’s Kirche stattfinden.

 

luth_divider_small

 

The first Lutheran Church in Stellenbosch was built in 1854, on the corner of Dorp und Bird Street. (Today the building is no longer in use as a church and instead serves as university museum and gallery.) Initially, German Lutherans in Stellenbosch were cared for from the St Martini Church in Cape Town and from the Kreuzkirche in Bellville, but as the German community in Stellenbosch grew, so did the need for a local Lutheran Church.

In 1952 the Stellenbosch congregation was officially founded and in 1963 the church centre in Hofmeyr Street was inaugurated. Over the past 50 years the church has been spiritual home for many and our prayer is that it will continue to be one for years to come. In recent years, increasing numbers of members have come from the Somerset West area and church services and events are now also being held at St Paul’s Church.